Finally Dream 2016 opens in Stratford-Upon-Avon tonight!!
GADGETS! (images copyright of The RSC)
I follow A Midsummer Night’s Dream 2016: A Play For The Nation on Twitter for the very beginning! They wrote their progress every day for months. It has been very interesting following their steps from the announcement to the last tweets with the trailer, through clips and pictures of the rehearsals.
I was interested to see it already, since I find amazing a project that involves a whole nation, and so far I saw only screen version of the play, I still have to see it on stage! I’m also intrigued by the fact that they set it in the ’40s of 1900, so it’s a modern version of Midsummer.
But then the cast was announced and it was even more exciting! As I’ve I said already here and here, it will be a pleasure to see Jack Holden on stage again, playing Lysander, one of the four lovers. Not talking about a female Puck, played by Lucy Ellinson! And, as you can well see from this clip on the rehearsals, also the other members of the cast look very nice, like Ayesha Dharker who plays Titania.
It looks so poetic and intriguing already! In the play there will be different Bottoms in each city of the tour and lot of fairies who will sing and dance, plus students from schools involved in this big project. They rehearsed in their free time, like on the evenings, to be ready for the great event, they deserve a great applause! And to get in touch with every amateur group, the staff used video conferences, laptops and so on. People of different age and background were involved. It’s going to be something we have never seen before.
There’s the interesting blog by John Chapman, who will play Bottom in London at the Barbican, talking about working in the play, with pictures from the rehearsals: https://bottomdream16.wordpress.com/
There are artists, too, in the team. Jon Trenchard for example makes wonderful mini castles 1:12 scale, with materials like cereal packet and pencils. Take a look to his amazing blog: http://miniaturecastle.blogspot.it/
Watch Alex Tomkins, a member of the cast, introducing the fellow professional actors in the clip “Rehearsals for A Midsummer Night’s Dream: A Play for the Nation | Royal Shakespeare Company” during rehearsals at Northern Stage, Newcastle.
And watch the trailer: A Midsummer Night’s Dream: A Play for the Nation from The RSC YouTube channel:
Here a rehearsal gallery from The RSC Facebook page. Photos by Topher McGrillis.
I’ve started a list on Twitter with the cast&creatives, here all the accounts I could find so far, some don’t seem to have one:
- Official site dream2016.org.uk
- Twitter account
- Instagram rscdream2016
- Facebook Page RSCDream2016
The Royal Shakespeare Company
- Official site rsc.org.uk
- Twitter account @TheRSC
- Press Office @RSCPress
- Instagram thersc
- Facebook Page thersc
- YouTube channel RSC
Stratford-Upon-Avon February 17, 2016 – March 5, 2016 – Royal Shakespeare Theatre
Newcastle Upon Tyne 16 – 26 March 2016 – Northern Stage @northernstage
Glasgow 29 March – 2 April 2016 – Citizens Theatr @citizenstheatre
Blackpool 5 – 9 April 2016 – Grand Theatre @Grand_Theatre
Bradford 12 – 16 April 2016 – Alhambra Theatre @BradfordTheatre
Canterbury 19 – 23 April 2016 – Marlowe Theatre @marlowetheatre
Norwich 26 – 30 April – Theatre Royal @TheatreRNorwich
Nottingham 3 – 7 May 2016 – Theatre Royal @RoyalNottingham
Truro 10 – 14 May 2016 – Hall for Cornwall @HallforCornwall
London 17 – 21 May 2016 – Barbican @BarbicanCentre I’ve booked for this venue, Saturday 21 May matinee!!
Cardiff 24 – 28 May 2016 – New Theatre @New_Theatre
Belfast 31 May – 4 June 2016 – Grand Opera House @GrandOperaHouse
- Jamie Cameron: Oberon’s Fairy @jamiecams – RSCDreams2016 introduces him
- Lila Clements: Moth, Fairy @Lilaclements
- Ayesha Dharker: Titania – RSCDreams2016 introduces her
- Lucy Ellinson: Puck @Llifo – meet Puck on thersc
- Ben Goffe: Fairy @ben_goffe – RSCDreams2016 introduces him
- Aimee Gray: Fairy @aimee732
- Peter Hamilton Dyer: Egeus.
- Laura Harding: Hippolyta @MsLauraHarding
- Mari Izzard: Fairy @MariIzzard
- Jack Holden: Lysander @jackholdenactor – John Chapman’s interview to him
- Tarek Merchant: Fairy @tarekmerchant (also Music Director)
- Chris Nayak: Demetrius @Chrisnayak – RSCDreams2016 introduces him
- Mercy Ojelade: Hermia @MercyOjelade
- Chu Omambala: Oberon – RSCDreams2016 introduces him
- Sam Redford: Theseus @samredford7
- Laura Riseborough: Helena @LRiseborough
- Theo St Claire: First Fairy @t3philla
- Alex Tomkins: Fairy @tomkins_alex – RSCDreams2016 introduces him
- Jon Trenchard: Philostrate @Jon_Trenchard
- John Chapman @johnchapman398
- Trevor Gill @gillassocs
- Martin Turner @brocketyrockety
- Chris Clarke @dramahut
- Bectora @bectora a woman!
All amateur groups
- Carnon Downs Drama Group – Truro @CarnonDowns
- Everyman Theatre – Cardiff @everymancdf
- Leeds Arts Centre – Bradford @leedsartscentre
- Lovelace Theatre Group – Nottingham @lovelace_group
- Poulton Drama – Blackpool @PoultonDrama
- The Bear Pit – Stratford Upon Avon @The_Bear_Pit
- The Belvoir Players – Belfast @BelvoirPlayers
- The Canterbury Players – Canterbury @CantburyPlayers
- The Castle Players – Newcastle Upon Tyne @thecastleplayer
- The Citizens Dream Players – Glasgow
- The Common Lot – Norwich @thecommonlotnc
- The Nonentities – Stratford Upon Avon
- The People’s Theatre – Newcastle Upon Tyne @peoplestheatre
- Tower Theatre – London @towertheatre
- MSND Canterbury @MSNDCanterbury1
- Rose Theatre @TheRoseKminster
- Hull Truck Theatre @HullTruck
- Quilliam Brothers @quilliambros
- Erica Whyman @EricaWhyman Director of the play
- Benjamin Pearson @benmp3
- Sophie Ivatts @SophieIvatts
- Tony Stone @tony_p_stone
- Robin Belfield @RobinBelfield
- Topher McGrillis @TMcGPhotography
- Cathy @darcy1970
- Radzi caramel kid @iamradzi
- Sam Kenyon @ogleforth Composer
- Mar Dixon @MarDixon
- Sarah Ellis @scarahnellis
- Tom Piper @tompiperdesign Set Designer and also creator of the wonderful ceramic poppies at the London Tower, commemorating WWI
Feel free to correct me if I wrote anything wrong or to add more members and information.
Now I can’t wait for the production pictures and to see it in London!
Listen to The Common Lot on RNorfolk talking A Midsummer Night’s Dream: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03gsyk0?platform=hootsuite scroll to 3:39
I want to espress all my admiration for this great team! Break a leg everyone involved!
Let’s the journey begin!!